A rehab facility in Haskell NJ has been in the news cycle for the past week as they deal with an adenovirus outbreak. To date, 26 cases have been reported, primarily pediatric patients and nine have died.
What is adenovirus and why the high percentage of deaths in this outbreak?
Joining me to answer these questions is Amesh Adalja, MD. Dr Adalja is a Senior Scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security.
More podcasts with Dr Adalja:
- Ricin: A weapon of assassination rather than mass destruction
- Undocumented immigrants and the import of infectious diseases: A real health security risk to the US?
- Talking Hepatitis A with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Pennsylvania Lyme disease: An interview with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Troubling statements about vaccines: Gloria Copeland and Milwaukee’s Patricia McManus
- Raw water: ‘In defiance of everything science tells us’
- Diphtheria: A short history, the disease, treatment and the success of the vaccines
- Outbreak News This Week: Monkeypox, Florida mosquito-borne viruses
- Hospital bills: The enormous costs, negotiated insurance prices and the self-pay patient
- STD contraction law explained
- Antibiotics: Fluoroquinolone prescribing in the US
- Rabies: History, myths and diagnosis on Outbreak News This Week