Thirteen people, including a one-year-old child, have become infected with anthrax in Hukumpeta, Andhra Pradesh in southeastern India, according to local media accounts.
The patients, who were admitted in the King George Hospital last night, all contracted the cutaneous form of the serious bacterial infection.
Reports note that all the victims contracted the disease through consumption of goat.
This is the first cases of anthrax reported in Visakha Agency in some six years.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products
Cutaneous anthrax occurs when the spore (or possibly the bacterium) enters a cut or abrasion on the skin. It starts out as a raised bump that looks like an insect bite. It then develops into a blackened lesion called an eschar that may form a scab. Lymph glands in the area may swell plus edema may be present. This form of anthrax responds well to antibiotics. If untreated, deaths can occur if the infection goes systemic. 95% of cases of anthrax are cutaneous.
- Philippines dengue vaccine update: 200,000 kids vaccinated, 362 adverse events, details on child death
- Brazil records more than 90,000 Zika cases in two months
- Puerto Rico health centers receive millions in funding to battle Zika
- Leishmaniasis: First-ever vaccine could ‘stop Leishmania infections before they start’