The measles outbreak in Arizona linked to the Eloy Detention facility has grown by one additional case in Pinal County, according to Arizona state health officials.
This brings the total cases in the current outbreak to 17, sixteen being in Pinal County.
The Arizona Department of Health Services reports the following locations as possible exposure areas:
- Tuesday, June 7, 2016:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 1140 N Gilbert Rd #111 Gilbert, AZ 85234, from 1:30 and 4:30 p.m.
- Body Pro’s Collision, 1508 W Scott Ave Gilbert, AZ 85233, from 1:30 and 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, June 5, 2016:
- Sparkle Auto Spa, 1635 E Florence Blvd Casa Grande, AZ 85122, from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wendy’s, 1127 E Florence Blvd Casa Grande, AZ 85122, from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Walmart Supercenter, 1741 E Florence Blvd Casa Grande, AZ 85122, from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- AutoZone, 1070 N Arizona Blvd Coolidge, AZ 85128, from 6 to 9:30 p.m.
Measles or rubeola, is an acute highly communicable viral disease that is characterized by Koplik spots in the cheek or tongue very early in the disease. A couple of days later a red blotchy rash appears first on the face, and then spreads, lasting 4-7 days. Other symptoms include fever, cough and red watery eyes. The patient may be contagious from four days prior to the rash appearance to four days after rash appearance.
The disease is more severe in infants and adults. Complications from measles which is reported in up to 20% of people infected include; seizures, pneumonia, deafness and encephalitis.