By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Australia Department of Health reports twelve confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) as of today.
The twelve cases have been reported in New South Wales (4), Victoria (4), South Australia (2) and Queensland (2).
The Australian Government remains vigilant about this virus and how it is developing. They have in place border, isolation, surveillance and case tracing mechanisms.
The Government has provided its advice to Australians about the novel coronavirus, based on the latest medical advice.
The advice of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for travel to mainland China is ‘level 4 – do not travel’.
On the advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee and the Communicable Diseases Network Australia, the Prime Minister has applied the following travel restrictions to people entering Australia having left mainland China after 1 February 2020:
- foreign nationals (excluding permanent residents of Australia) who are in mainland China, will not be allowed to enter Australia until 14 days after they have left or transited through mainland China
- Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family will still be able to enter Australia, as well as airline crews who have been using appropriate personal protective equipment
In addition the following isolation requirements apply:
- if you have travelled to Hubei Province within the past 14 days, you must isolate yourself until 14 days have elapsed after leaving Hubei Province
- if you have left, or transited through, mainland China on or after 1 February 2020 you must isolate yourself until 14 days after leaving China
- if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of novel coronavirus, you must isolate yourself for 14 days after last contact with the confirmed case
- India reports 3rd novel coronavirus case, Kerala declares ‘state of calamity’
- Ebola: First-ever experimental Sudan virus specific antibody treatment protects animals
- Kenya reports chikungunya outbreak
- Vietnam: 2019 novel coronavirus declared an epidemic, 8th case reported
- Antibiotics: FDA Accepts For Review Supplemental New Drug Application for RECARBRIO™
- H5N1 influenza vaccine, AUDENZ™, receives FDA approval
- First confirmed coronavirus case in Spain in La Gomera, Canary Islands