By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Masschusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) has reported the first case of the 2019 novel coronavirus in the state today.
The case is a man returning from Wuhan, China who is in his 20s and lives in Boston.
DPH and the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) were notified by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of the positive test results late Friday evening.
This is the eighth case of infection with 2019 novel coronavirus reported in the United States.
The man recently traveled to Wuhan, China, and sought medical care soon after his return to Massachusetts. He has been isolated since that time and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by public health officials. His few close contacts have been identified and are being monitored for any sign of symptoms.
“We are grateful that this young man is recovering and sought medical attention immediately,’’ said Massachusetts Public Health Commissioner Monica Bharel, MD. MPH.“Massachusetts has been preparing for a possible case of this new coronavirus, and we were fortunate that astute clinicians took appropriate action quickly. Again, the risk to the public from the 2019 novel coronavirus remains low in Massachusetts.”
“Our priority is not only to protect and inform the residents of Boston but also to help this man continue to recover. We are pleased that he is doing well,” said BPHC Executive Director Rita Nieves. “Right now, we are not asking Boston residents to do anything differently. The risk to the general public remains low. And we continue to be confident we are in a good position to respond to this developing situation.”
DPH and BPHC continue to work closely with the CDC to maintain vigilance during this virus outbreak.
- Bavaria, Germany: 7th locally acquired novel coronavirus case, China case count update
- Philippines: Increase in chikungunya reported in South Cotabato
- United Arab Emirates reports two additional MERS cases
- California reports 3rd novel coronavirus case, Public Health Emergency declared in US
- Institut Pasteur isolates strains of coronavirus 2019-nCoV detected in France
- CDC travel notice for Benin: Meningococcal disease outbreak
- Japan reports 3rd locally acquired 2019-nCoV case, this case from Chiba
- Coronavirus vaccine program initiated by Vaxart
- Novel coronavirus: Italy declares state of emergency, 1st cases confirmed