The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) warns against consuming local deer- antler tea due to botulism risk. Public Health has recently identified one confirmed and one suspected case of botulism occurring in adults.
Preliminary investigation suggests that these cases may be associated with the consumption of a deer-antler tea product (photos to the left) that was acquired during the month of March. Pending further investigation, Public Health recommends that all persons who purchased product similar to this during the month of March, immediately dispose of it.
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a nerve toxin that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium. Classic symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing and weakness. These are all symptoms of muscle paralysis caused by the bacterial toxin. If untreated, these symptoms may progress to cause paralysis of the respiratory muscles, arms, legs, and trunk. In foodborne botulism, symptoms generally begin 18 to 36 hours after eating a contaminated food, but they can occur as early as 6 hours or as late as 10 days. The respiratory failure and paralysis that occur with severe botulism may require a patient to be on a breathing machine (ventilator) for weeks or months, plus intensive medical and nursing care. The paralysis slowly improves.
People experiencing symptoms of botulism, who have recently drunk the tea, should seek immediate medical attention.
- California reports 1st human West Nile virus case of the year in Kings County
- Dengue fever: Sri Lanka reports nearly 40,000 cases through April
- Dr. Mike Osterholm discusses infectious diseases and his new book ‘Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs’
- Canada: Fence-Sitting Parents to Blame for Falling Vaccine Rates