A botulism outbreak that has struck two villages in Armenia has sickened two people, according to Armenian press. The source of the infections has been linked to homemade canned marinade.
Less than a day after consuming the marinade, the victims presented with symptoms of botulism. They were taken to the hospital where they are being treated. One is in serious condition, according to the report.
Food borne botulism is a severe intoxication caused by eating the preformed toxin present in contaminated food.
Food borne botulism occurs when the bacterium Clostridium botulinum is allowed to grow and produce toxin in food that is later eaten without sufficient heating or cooking to inactivate the toxin. Botulinum toxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins known.
Typically in a few hours to several days after you eat the contaminated food you will start to show the classic symptoms; blurred vision, dry mouth, and difficulty in swallowing. Gastrointestinal symptoms may or may not occur. If untreated, the paralysis always descends through the body starting at the shoulders and working its way down.
The most serious complication of botulism is respiratory failure where it is fatal in up to 10% of people. It may take months before recovery is complete.
If the disease is caught early enough it can be treated with antitoxin. If paralysis and respiratory failure happen, the person may be on a ventilator for several weeks.
- Gonorrhea outbreak: New Hampshire reports 250 percent increase in 2016
- Pennsylvania: 1st Chronic Wasting Disease case in captive deer since 2014
- Blood test can predict life or death outcome for patients with Ebola virus disease
- Measles reported in San Luis Obispo County baby, 2nd case in county