By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
In Argentina, the Ministry of Health of Córdoba confirmed two cases of botulism in the province. According to a Cadenea 3 report (computer translated), the patients were visitors to the province who “bought pickled wild boar and got sick”.
One of the patients was already transferred to common rooms and the other remains with stable, respiratory assistance.
Food borne botulism is a severe intoxication caused by eating the preformed toxin present in contaminated food.
Food borne botulism occurs when the bacterium Clostridium botulinum is allowed to grow and produce toxin in food that is later eaten without sufficient heating or cooking to inactivate the toxin. Botulinum toxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins known.
Typically in a few hours to several days after you eat the contaminated food you will start to show the classic symptoms; blurred vision, dry mouth, and difficulty in swallowing.
Gastrointestinal symptoms may or may not occur. If untreated, the paralysis always descends through the body starting at the shoulders and working its way down.
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: 7 deaths in Mali village
- Huntington’s Disease: HDSA Centers of Excellence for 2020
- Antiviral drug, Remdesivir, being used for treatment of novel coronavirus
- Singapore coronavirus tally rises to 33, Step up risk assessment to DORSCON Orange
- Hong Kong: Imported H9 influenza case, Coronavirus update
- Measles case confirmed in Edmonton
- Coronavirus Q&A with Rodney Rohde, PhD