By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Brazil Ministry of Health is now reporting more than 1,000 deaths due to coronavirus disease, or COVID-19. Through Friday, 1068 deaths have been recorded.
São Paulo has reported the most deaths and cases. The number of cases in Brazil now stands 19,789.
Only the state of Tocantins has, so far, not died from the disease, but it has also registered confirmed cases, as have all other Brazilian states.
The Government of Brazil maintains a permanent effort to expand the testing for coronavirus in the public health system by making new tests available, either by direct purchase or through donations.
As of Thursday, 451,400 RT-PCR tests and 500,000 rapid tests were distributed to states across the country. Next week, another 1 million rapid tests and 50,000 RT-PCR are expected to be distributed.
- FDA warning: Ivermectin meant for animals are not for human treatment for COVID-19
- Ebola case reported in DRC, 2 days before calling end to epidemic
- New mechanisms of SARS-CoV-2 pathogenesis: Viral bonding with porphyrin and alteration of heme metabolism
- Saudi Arabia reports 18 additional MERS cases in February
- Iceland reports a slowing of COVID-19, ‘We anticipate being able to slowly ease the social distancing measures’
- Philippines COVID-19 cases top 4,000, Update on PPE delivery
- COVID-19 testing: False-negative test results may lead to false sense of security