By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Brazil Ministry of Health reported today that the coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19 case count has risen to 621.
In addition, six deaths are now reported–in São Paulo (4) and Rio de Janeiro (2).
The cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo already register cases of community transmission by coronavirus.
On Wednesday, health authorities reported the Central Public Health Laboratories (LACEN) of the 26 states and the Federal District are able to carry out tests for the coronavirus as part of the Health effort to face the disease. The measure is important because it decentralizes the diagnosis of coronavirus to the whole country.
“This is the year of the laboratories, as they are part of the nervous system of the health surveillance system. We will revitalize the laboratories, with more automation, more possibilities to guarantee efficient and accurate results. The citizen has the right to receive the test result more quickly and effectively and, for that, we need technical quality “, highlighted the national secretary of Health Surveillance, Wanderson de Oliveira, who was at the closing ceremony of the training, in Belém (PA).
The training takes place when the number of suspected cases of coronavirus infection reaches 8,819 in Brazil, according to this Tuesday’s update (17). The Ministry of Health complies with the work plan for increasing the capillarity of diagnostics beyond the reference laboratories, which today are Fiocruz, in Rio de Janeiro, the Instituto Adolfo Lutz (IAL), in São Paulo, and the Evandro Institute Chagas (IEC), in Pará.
The tests are produced on a priority basis by the Bio-Manguinhos Institute, of the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz), with weekly production and distribution in the same proportion, that is, they are also sent to the states weekly. Current production is between 3,500 and 4,000 tests every three days and follows good practices for the production of diagnostic inputs. Production is being staggered to increase manufacturing capacity.
- E. coli O103 outbreak linked to clover sprouts: 39 cases in six states
- New York COVID-19 cases top 4,000, Mortgage relief, In-office workforce
- Spain: Coronavirus cases top 17K, Ministry of Health works on advancing diagnostics
- Italy COVID-19 death count surpasses Hubei, China
- Female group A streptococcus genital tract infections: New research shows promise for new vaccines and treatments
- Malaysia reports 110 additional COVID-19 cases, total now 900
- Anisakis parasite: 283-fold increase in abundance since the 1970s