By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Minister of Health in Cambodia, Professor Mam Bunheng (computer translated) is calling on the public and local authorities to do what’s needed to eradicate the “tiger mosquito” in light of the chikungunya fever outbreak which is steadily increasing in the country.
According to the Ministry of Health, as of August 6, the Ministry has identified a total of 2,047 suspected cases of chikungunya in 15 provinces– Pailin, Banteay Meanchey, Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Siem Reap, Kampong Cham, Tbong Khmum, Stung Treng, Kampot, Pursat, Kandal, Kampong Thom, Takeo, Kampot and Sihanoukville.
More than 80 percent of all suspected cases are from Banteay Meanchey, Kampong Cham, Siem Reap and Takeo provinces. About 90 percent of all patients have recovered and the remaining 10% are continuing treatment at public hospitals.
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is transmitted by the bite of Aedes mosquitoes, particularly Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. In humans bitten by an infected mosquito, the disease symptoms usually appear after an incubation period of three to seven days (range 1- 12 days).
CHIKV can cause acute, sub-acute, and chronic disease.
In acute disease, symptoms develop abruptly and include high fever, headache, myalgia and arthralgia (predominantly in limbs and large joints). The appearance of a maculopapular rash is also frequent. Severe forms of the disease are rare. Symptoms usually resolve in 7-10 days, although arthralgia and joint stiffness may persist intermittently for several months.
The disease shares some clinical signs with dengue and Zika, and can be misdiagnosed in areas where they are common. As there is no cure, treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.
- New Mexico reports 1st plague death of the year in Rio Arriba County
- Philippines report 4,226 new COVID-19 cases, Leads in testing in SE Asia, Former Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim dies
- Facemask efficacy for filtering expelled droplets during speech: Evaluation
- Libertarian Presidential candidate, Jo Jorgensen, gets bitten by a bat, receives rabies PEP
- Virginia reports 4th EEE case in horse, This one in Isle of Wight County
- Onion Salmonella Outbreak Explodes: 85 Hospitalized, 640 Sick in US
- 239 Canadians Sick in Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Onions
- France: 1st dengue local transmission reported in 2020