For four years now, I have been working hard — every day — to advocate for my son. I have helped him determine the cause of his illness, no thanks to the willful neglect and sheer ignorance of the allopathic medical community. And I have helped him navigate the twists and turns of a broken medical system in order to find a number of out-of-the-box effective treatment protocols. I have made it my daily mission to help guide him toward a state of recovery. l now trust that he is on his way.
While doing so, I have become an advocate for all chronic Lyme disease sufferers. I have written a book — LYME MADNESS™ — which I am planning to publish in August. I have attended Lyme conferences. I have been interviewed on podcasts and radio shows talking about this medical travesty. I blog often. I am compiling a database of Lyme literate therapists. I see and talk to Lyme disease sufferers in my practice, in person, and on Facebook every day. I ‘sit at the table’ with top Lyme advocates from around the world.
Allow me, once again, to give you some context as to why chronic Lyme disease is utter MADNESS and why it requires us to get loud and get heard:
- Chronic Lyme disease is a pandemic, affecting tens of millions globally in 80 countries and on every continent except Antarctica. Yet we are hearing far more about the Zika virus than Lyme.
- It’s a complex, multi-system, neurological, bacteria driven, post-sepsis, AIDS-like illness, destroying the immune system, infecting and affecting every organ, muscle, tissue and cell in the body, including the brain and the nervous system.
- It’s medically ignored and universally negated, forcing sufferers – for the most part, save for a few heroic doctors – to diagnose, research, treat and heal themselves.
- It’s a ‘do-it-yourself’ disease forcing sufferers to be amateur sleuths, medical researchers and experts in so many medical disciplines including microbiology, neurology, gastroenterology, immunology, rheumatology, and more.
- It’s known as The Great Imitator, mimicking 350+ medical conditions including MS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and more. • It’s treated more ‘humanely’ on Facebook than in most doctors’ office worldwide.
- It’s defined by the ‘powers-that-be’ as a non-existent, insignificant, nuisance condition — one that is ‘difficult to catch, easy to diagnose and easy to treat’. This entrenched party line promulgated and mimicked by the conventional medical community, a destructive medical ideology which is in complete and utter contrast to the reality of millions of chronic Lyme sufferers worldwide, has not changed since the first large outbreak in Old Lyme Connecticut more than four decades ago when Lyme was narrowly and incorrectly defined as a rheumatological condition called Lyme arthritis.
- Chronic Lyme Disease sufferers are victimized in multiple ways: by the disease itself; by doctors who turn their backs; by loved ones who roll their eyes and walk away; by insurers who refuse to provide coverage; and by the CDC and the IDSA who insist that Lyme disease is all in our heads.
This MADNESS has to stop!
Today, my fellow Canadian Lyme advocates have decided to amass a group of like-minded individuals across the country who are willing to take a much louder and bolder stand with regard to Lyme and tick borne diseases. This is not just any Lyme group. Everyone in this group is being asked to make a commitment. A commitment to truly make an impact. A commitment to join us and become VOCAL – VOICES OF CANADIANS ABOUT LYME.
We are planning to hold a MARCH — on Parliament Hill and in every capital city in this country — next May, during next year’s Lyme disease awareness month.
Please join us in this much needed effort to get heard. We need bodies. We need voices. We need you to join us in our outrage caused by a medical system and a political system that for decades now has offered little but sheer neglect of thousands of Canadian Lyme sufferers from coast to coast.
We need your participation. Within the next five years you too will know someone with LYME. This illness is far more serious than you’re being told by the government, by the media and by the medical community. Please join us as we get loud and get heard.
To sign up for our VOCAL — VOICES OF CANADIANS ABOUT LYME — MARCH taking place next May, send me a message at email@example.com with your contact info and we will provide details soon.
Lori Dennis is the author of Lyme Madness™ coming soon on Amazon.