In a follow-up on the Salmonella outbreak affecting five Canadian provinces, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) reports five additional cases, bringing the outbreak total to 84 laboratory-confirmed cases– British Columbia (36), Alberta (30), Saskatchewan (4), Manitoba (12) and Ontario (2).
Four individuals have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) reported testing found the outbreak strain of Salmonella in an unopened package of Alasko brand frozen whole kernel corn.
Traceback findings identified Alasko as the common brand of frozen corn consumed at various food service establishments by individuals who became sick. Based on the investigation findings to date, the outbreak is linked to Alasko brand frozen whole kernel corn.
The CFIA issued food recall warnings on December 14 and 19 for Alasko brand frozen whole kernel corn. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec, and may have been distributed in other provinces and territories. This led to a secondary recall for Fraser Valley Meats brand frozen whole kernel corn on December 18.
Health officials advise do not eat, use, sell, or serve recalled Alasko brand or Fraser Valley Meats brand frozen whole kernel corn. This advice applies to individuals, as well as retailers, distributors, manufacturers and food service establishments such as hotels, restaurants, cafeterias, hospitals and long-term care homes, across Canada.
- Maniema province monkeypox outbreak: WHO details
- Cruise ship outbreak: More than 100 sickened on recent Viking Sea voyage
- Texas: COVID-19 Omicron-variant associated death reported in Harris County
- Philippines reports 3rd Omicron case, 100 millionth dose of COVID-19 vaccine administered
- Chikungunya in Brazil: Cases up 32% in 2021
- Nevada Omicron: 2nd case reported
- San Diego Shigella outbreak in homeless slowing
- Hantavirus infections reported in Xi’an, Shaanxi Province
- Alberta: 1st case of BSE reported in Canada in 6 years
- Omicron: Iran reports 1st case in individual who came from UAE and lives in Tehran
3 thoughts on “Canada Salmonella outbreak linked to frozen whole kernel corn”