What is a cannibal sandwich?
A cannibal sandwich is by definition, raw ground beef typically served on rye bread or crackers with onions. Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat. It is a traditional winter holiday specialty in certain regions of the upper Midwest.
These are also called “tiger meat” sandwiches.
In this 2013 interview, I speak with CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer, Abbey Canon, DVM, MPH, LT, about an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak in Wisconsin that year and the health risks with consuming raw ground beef.
- Troubling statements about vaccines: Gloria Copeland and Milwaukee’s Patricia McManus
- Food allergies: An interview with Scott Riccio
- Pork tapeworm and cysticercosis
- Raw water: ‘In defiance of everything science tells us’
- Foodborne parasites in the US
- Raccoon roundworm: The rare and potentially lethal zoonosis
Intro music: “Rapture” by Ross Bugden