In a follow-up on Valneva’s Chikungunya vaccine candidate, the France based biotech company announced Friday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track designation for VLA1553.
VLA1553 is a monovalent, single dose, live-attenuated vaccine candidate for protection against chikungunya.
Wolfgang Bender, MD, PhD, chief medical officer of Valneva, commented, “Chikungunya is a growing threat with unpredictable outbreaks and a serious impact on public health. Infection with the virus can cause serious symptoms and complications. The fast track designation will allow us to work closely with the FDA and to accelerate our efforts to develop a one dose solution for the prevention of this spreading disease.”
Fast Track designation is granted by the FDA to products under development for serious conditions that have the potential to fulfill an unmet medical need. Fast Track is designed to facilitate the clinical development and expedite the review of new drugs and vaccines with the intention of accelerating the availability of promising products on the market.
All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Smart speaker with Alexa – Charcoal
Chikungunya is a mosquito-borne viral disease caused by the chikungunya virus (CHIKV), a Togaviridae virus, transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. Clinical symptoms include acute onset of fever, debilitating joint and muscle pain, headache, nausea and rash, potentially developing into long-term, serious health impairments.
- Marburg virus reported for the first time in West Africa in fruit bats
- Buruli ulcer: Swiss TPH researchers discover promising new drug candidate
- Zika vaccine: Nebraska researchers say potential vaccine would defend against Zika virus without producing antibodies
- England reports increase in acute flaccid myelitis
- Lyme bacteria persister forms, antibiotics and essential oils with Dr. Ying Zhang
- Europe: Sanofi’s dengue vaccine gets approved
- African Swine Fever spreads to Guangdong Province, China
- Kenya reports deaths of two teens from tetanus post-circumcision
One thought on “Chikungunya vaccine candidate receives FDA Fast Track Designation”