Academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, Zhong Nanshan said Saturday at a conference that because of China’s high vaccination rate, the country is highly expected to reach the herd immunity level by the end of 2021.
“As many as 1.15 billion people in China have already been fully vaccinated against the novel coronavirus, laying a solid foundation for herd immunity in the country,” said Zhong Nanshan.
Estimating 83 percent are fully vaccinated –the threshold Zhong said theoretically would achieve herd immunity. The current vaccination rate is 81.9 percent.
In related news, China confirmed its first omicron case on the mainland, in Tianjin. Authorities say the individual, who does not have symptoms, arrived from overseas.
- Boris Johnson: ‘A tidal wave of Omicron is coming. Get Boosted Now’
- Argentina: Congenital syphilis cases in Córdoba up 68 percent in 2021
- Brazil: Eight human yellow fever cases, including 3 deaths in Santa Catarina
- Sweden flu season underway, warns ‘there is a risk that it will be intense’
- Finland reports 11 additional Omicron cases, Brings total to 20
- Elimination of transmission of onchocerciasis, or river blindness in Niger
- Monkeypox outbreak declared in Maniema, DRC