By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In Sichuan province, China, a circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) has been confirmed, according to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
The virus was isolated from stool specimens of an acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) case from Liangshan Yi Autonomous prefecture with onset of paralysis on April 25.
The stain is genetically linked to a VDPV2 isolated from an environmental sample from Xinjiang province, collected on April 18, 2018.
Officials say China continues to maintain strong routine immunization coverage both with IPV and bivalent OPV reaching more than 95% nationwide, and strong poliovirus surveillance including through environmental surveillance.
In addition, Pakistan saw nine new wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases, bringing the total to 41 this year.
Five were reported from Bannu district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, two from Torghar district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and one each from Jaffarabad and Killa Abdullah districts, Balochistan province.
Lastly, Angola recorded its second case of cVDPV2 this year, in Kuvango district, Huila province, with symptom onset on May 30.
- Kenya: Suspected anthrax outbreak in Kisumu County
- Syphilis: Europe reports 70 percent rise since 2010, Iceland reports largest increase
- Maine CDC Announces Legionnaires Disease Cluster in Bangor Area
- New York’s Capital Region in the Thick of a Cyclospora Outbreak
- Virginia: Outbreak at long-term care facility in Springfield, Dozens sickened and two dead
- Philippines: Dengue fever in Leyte, Samar and Iloilo