By NewsDesk @bactiman63
Covered in the General Health Law, the Childhood and Adolescence Code, in safeguarding the principle of the best interests of the boy, girl and adolescent and taking into account that since March 2021 the vaccine against COVID-19 is part of the scheme basic vaccination official, the National Vaccination and Epidemiology Commission (CNVE) ratified that immunization against COVID-19 is mandatory for all minors.
In Costa Rica, the vaccines included in the basic table established by the CNVE are mandatory for minors, including those against chickenpox, polio, more recently against the Human Papilloma Virus incorporated in 2017 and this year the incorporation of immunization against COVID-19.
According to information from the Costa Rican Social Security Fund on November 2, 73% of the population between 12 and 19 years old already has at least one dose of vaccine against COVID-19. Since Monday, October 25, the immunization of adolescents over 12 years of age was opened in a general way.
Parents or legal representatives have the responsibility that the mandatory vaccination of minors is carried out in a timely manner, as well as the institutions that make up the National Comprehensive Protection System, including the CCSS, the Ministry of Health , the Ministry of Public Education and the National Children’s Trust, each from its own sphere of competence, must ensure the guarantee of the right to health and life of children and adolescents.
For children under 12 years of age, the Government manages the purchase of vaccines by 2022. Recently the United States Food and Drug Administration Agency (FDA) authorized the emergency use of the vaccine against COVID-19 for children from 5 to 11 years old. The logistics of applying these pediatric vaccines for this group will be communicated prior to the availability of the doses in the national territory.
Additionally, the CNVE agreed that the adolescent population over 15 years of age can receive the COVID-19 vaccine without the need to be accompanied by an adult, always with the respective assessment of each case.
- Salmonella and Food safety with Trevor Craig
- Bird flu outbreak in Akita Prefecture, 1st outbreak in Japan this season
- Pakistan dengue: Punjab cases top 19K, Lahore man ask police to arrest mosquitoes
- A Heart for Haiti with Dr. John Carroll
- Colorado: Cat tests positive for plague in Jefferson County
- DRC typhoid tally tops 1 million cases
- Ebola Virus Disease in the DRC: WHO update
- Ghana yellow fever update: 42 suspected cases since mid-October
- India Newswire: Dengue in Delhi, Zika in Kanpur
- Measles outbreak kills 45 in Kasongo, Maniema province in 3 weeks