By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Officials with the Côte d’Ivoire, or Ivory Coast Ministry of Health report a yellow fever outbreak.
According to a press release today (computer translated), Dr. Eugene Aka Aouele says eighty nine yellow fever cases have been registered, primarily in the city of Abidjan. One death has been reported.
This occurs at the same time the city and the country battles a dengue fever outbreak.
Yellow fever is a viral disease that is transmitted by mosquitoes belonging to the Aedes species. Yellow fever can lead to serious illness and even death. Yellow fever vaccine is the best protection against yellow fever disease, which can be fatal.
- DRC measles outbreak surpasses 120K cases, 2,000 deaths
- Malaria in Burundi: Nearly 6 million cases to date
- Lyme disease: FDA clears new indications for existing tests that may help streamline diagnoses
- Measles and SSPE: Progressive, disabling, and fatal
- Utah reports death of resident who contracted infection after weight-loss surgery in Mexico