By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Today, the Florida Department of Health (Department) highlighted the state’s most recent milestone in the fight to stop the spread of COVID-19 – the successful testing of more than 100,000 Floridians. Florida is now the state with the second-highest number of tested individuals. Only New York has tested more individuals.
Governor Ron DeSantis said, “This is an incredible achievement by any measure, and it is all due to the hard work and great sacrifice by Florida’s thousands of health care workers and first responders who are on the front lines of this fight. These professionals will have the full weight of the State of Florida behind them as they continue to devote themselves to keeping Florida’s families safe.”
Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees said, “Thanks in large part to the number of tests conducted by our state’s health care providers, Florida is now ranked second nationally for testing of this new coronavirus. Our dedicated team of public health personnel will continue their tireless work in ensuring our state’s symptomatic and vulnerable populations are receiving optimal care. The Department, alongside our national, state and local partners, is committed to the swift and effective resolution of COVID-19 epidemic.”
FDEM Director Jared Moskowitz said, “COVID-19 is an unprecedented virus in this country, and it requires an unprecedented response. We have been clear from the beginning that we will use every resource we have at our disposal to fight this virus and protect Floridians. Performing more than 100,000 tests in our state demonstrates our commitment.”
At the direction of Governor Ron DeSantis and through the close agency partnerships fostered by the Division of Emergency Management, the Department has coordinated the establishment and continuing operations of eight state-supported COVID-19 testing sites, located in Florida’s most impacted communities:
- The Hard Rock Stadium in Miami
- South Dade Government Center in Miami-Dade County
- Marlins Stadium in Miami
- The Orange County Convention Center
- TIAA Bank Field Lot J in Jacksonville
- CB Smith Park in Broward County
- The FITTEAM Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in Palm Beach County
- Raymond James Stadium in Tampa
To date, these sites have conducted more than 24,000 tests.
Top Ten States for COVID-19 Testing
New York: 283,621
New Jersey: 75,356
The latest COVID-19 count in Florida as of Saturday evening shows there are currently 11,173 positive cases in Florida residents and 372 positive cases in non-Florida residents.
Of this total, 195 deaths have been reported.
- Bangladesh reports measles outbreak in Sajek amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Anti-parasitic drug, Ivermectin, inhibits SARS-CoV-2 virus in 48 hours in vitro: Monash University researchers
- Brazil COVID-19 case count tops 10,000, ‘There are MANY more’ writes Rio doctor
- New study identifies characteristics of patients with fatal COVID-19
- Measles outbreak in Mexico City
- Spain reports 7000 COVID-19 cases in past 24 hours
- New York COVID-19 cases top 100K, Javits Center used for COVID-19 patients only