By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Philippines Department of Health reported 2,995 newly-confirmed COVID-19 cases Sunday, bringing the outbreak total to 304,226.
The majority of the newly reported cases are from the National Capital Region (NCR) with 1,065, the provinces of Cavite with 297, Bulacan with 180, Batangas with 157, and Laguna with 143 infections.
The death toll has risen to 5,344 with 60 new cases reported Sunday.
The all-in-one COVID-19 complex that has its own swabbing center, quarantine and isolation facility, and a molecular laboratory in Lakeshore Hotel, City of Taguig was inaugurated Thursday, the DOH reported.
Led by its local government under the guidance of the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19, and the Department of Health (DOH), the construction of the COVID-19 Complex seeks to bring together these three essential facilities to hit the city’s target of testing 10% of its total population by the end of 2021.
According to Taguig City Mayor Lino Cayetano, the first section of the 500-bed facility will soon be opened to cater COVID-19 patients in the city. Its modular molecular laboratory is expected to process 600 tests daily.
“We listen to the science. We listen to the doctors. We listen to the Barangay Captains who know the situation in their respective barangays,” said Cayetano as he expressed his thanks to the IATF, NTF, DOH and his local team in making the project possible.
As of 24 September 2020, the Local Government of Taguig City reported a total of 389 active cases out of the 6,988 total confirmed cases in the city. Of these, the city reported a recovery rate of 94% or 6,544 recoveries and 0.79% case fatality rate or 56 deaths — a rate lower than that of the National Capital Region (1.60%).
- Taiwan local dengue cases rise to 32, Recent cases reported in New Taipei City
- China: Suspect bubonic plague case reported in Yunnan Province
- SARS-CoV-2 commercial antibody kits: Accuracy varies widely according to researchers
- Rabies in the Americas: Dog-mediated human rabies has been reduced by almost 98%
- Naegleria fowleri: Lake Jackson, Texas issues a a disaster declaration after the brain-eating amoeba is detected in its water system
- Lyme disease: Texas A&M researcher receives award for work on diagnostic test