There is a rapid self-test for dengue fever being marketed in the Philippines that according to the manufacturer, you can get results in 20 minutes or less.
The test is called the LABit DX Dengue NS1 Ag test and is made by PHILAB Holdings, Corp.
Lazada.com.ph is selling the test online for P570, or about $11.50 in US dollars. It is part of Lazada Group which operates Southeast Asia’s number one online shopping and selling destination in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
According to PHILAB:
LABit Dengue NS1 Ag device is an immuno-chromatographic assay used for the rapid detection of dengue virus NS1 antigen in human blood. Dengue-specific antibodies complexed with gold conjugate are placed in the conjugate pad in the test region, while anti-dengue NS1 antibodies are immobilized on the membrane. When a dengue antigen positive specimen is loaded into the sample injection point, the liquid sample migrates to the test region via lateral flow movement then antigen is captured by immobilized anti-dengue NS1 antibodies on the membrane. The antigen reacts with dengue-specific antibodies complexed with gold conjugate to make a visible band in the test line.
LABit Dx Dengue NS1 Ag can detect dengue virus at the start or within 5 days of fever and the sensitivity is up to 97% and Specificity up to 100%. It is noted that it is Philippines FDA approved.
The Philippines has reported more than 200,000 dengue fever cases in 2015 and 2016, making it one of the countries in Southeast Asia most impacted. Last year more than 1000 people died from complications of dengue.
- Philippines dengue vaccine update: 200,000 kids vaccinated, 362 adverse events, details on child death
- Philippines: UST ‘Microbiology Society’ recognized by ASM
- Philippines FDA issues cease and desist order against Sanofi Pasteur for Dengvaxia ads
- Philippines: Quezon City ‘very ripe’ to become medical tourism hub
- Philippines DOH announces free rabies vaccines this year after more than 200 deaths reported in 2015