Loving Pets of Cranbury, NJ is voluntarily recalling a limited number of dog treats because of the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having
contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
The lot numbers included are:
Loving Pets Barksters™
- Item #5700 Sweet Potato and Chicken UPC 842982057005 – Lot # 021619
- Item #5705 Brown Rice and Chicken UPC 842982057050 – Lot 021419
Loving Pets Puffsters™ Snack Chips
- Item #5100 Apple and Chicken UPC 842982051003 – Lot 051219, 112118, 112918, 012719, 012519, 013019
- Item #5110 Banana and Chicken UPC 842982051102 – Lot 112218, 112818, 112918, 013119
- Item #5120 Sweet Potato and Chicken UPC 842982051201 – Lot 112818, 020119
- Item #5130 Cranberry and Chicken UPC 842982051300 – Lot 020319, 112918, 020219
- Item #2570314 Chicken and Apple Puff Treats UPC 800443220696 – Lot 121418, 121918, 122318, 010419, 010619, 010519
No illnesses, injuries or complaints have been reported.
The possible Salmonella contamination was due to a single finished ingredient that was supplied to Loving Pets from a USA based supplier. This possible contamination was discovered by Loving Pets’ internal quality assurance team and was identified through the company’s standard quality control testing procedures and internal food safety program. Loving Pets produces its treats in small batches, in order to offer the highest quality and control in safety.
To ensure the safety of its products, Loving Pets decided to be extra cautious and recall a wider range of lot numbers (noted above) so that no possible contaminated product is available on the market.
Consumers may return any bag of treats with any of these aforementioned lot numbers to the retailer where the product was originally purchased.
- Dogs: Rawhide chew products recalled due to possible chemical contamination
- Lyme disease in dogs: Forecast map created
- H3N8 canine influenza: The development of new flu vaccines for dogs
- Leptospirosis in dogs: Maricopa County, Arizona outbreak