By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In a follow-up on the 11th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the World Health Organization (WHO) announced today the outbreak has been declared over.
“Overcoming one of the world’s most dangerous pathogens in remote and hard to access communities demonstrates what is possible when science and solidarity come together,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. “The technology used to keep the Ebola vaccine at super-cold temperatures will be helpful when bringing a COVID-19 vaccine to Africa. Tackling Ebola in parallel with COVID-19 hasn’t been easy, but much of the expertise we’ve built in one disease is transferrable to another and underlines the importance of investing in emergency preparedness and building local capacity.”
The outbreak in western DRC, announced on 1 June 2020, came as another Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the country was winding down, and finally declared over on 25 June 2020. The two outbreaks were geographically far apart. Genetic sequencing analysis found that they were unrelated. By the end of the current 11th Ebola outbreak in Equateur Province there were 119 confirmed cases, 11 probable, 55 deaths and 75 people who had recovered.
While the 11th outbreak is over, there is a need for continued vigilance and maintaining strong surveillance as potential flare-ups are possible in the months to come, officials note.
- Cambodia target: Eliminating Plasmodium falciparum
- Brazil measles: Ongoing outbreaks in Pará, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo states
- Atrial fibrillation and other heart arrhythmias
- COVID-19 unexpected consequence: Major measles outbreaks will likely occur during 2021 according to article
- COVID Study: Antibody Shows Potential to Neutralize SARS-CoV-2 Mutant Strains
- Chapare virus in Bolivia 2019: New evidence shows human-to-human transmission
- Mauritania Rift Valley fever outbreak update
- Shigella experimental vaccine: Intravacc publishes positive phase I data
- COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate: Moderna announces 94.5% efficacy in Phase 3 trial
One thought on “Ebola outbreak declared over: The end of the 11th DRC outbreak”