Doctors in Khimki saved a young woman from the larvae of a dangerous tapeworm, on September 3, the press service of the Department of Health of the Moscow Region reports.
In a hospital near Moscow, doctors saved a 37-year-old woman who was admitted to the emergency room with symptoms of peritonitis. During the examination of the patient, it turned out that her cyst had burst with the larva of a dangerous tapeworm – echinococcus.
“This parasite infects domestic animals, most often dogs. It enters the human body with poorly washed vegetables and fruits or through direct contact with an animal. First, the larvae enter the stomach, and then they are absorbed into the bloodstream and enter the lungs or the human liver , ”the department explained.
The patient was found to have two cysts larger than 15 cm in both lobes of the liver. Due to the rupture of one of the formations, the woman developed signs of peritonitis. On admission, the woman had nausea with pain in the upper abdomen.
The patient underwent an emergency operation, she is no longer in danger, the patient has already been discharged from the hospital home under the supervision of a doctor.
Recall that the source of infection with the larval stage of the tapeworm echinococcus for humans are sick animals. The main hosts of Echinococcus are wild and domestic canids (dogs, wolves, jackals, coyotes, foxes), infection occurs due to the fecal-oral transmission mechanism. A sick person is not contagious to others.
For humans, only the larval form of the parasite is dangerous. It is impossible to get infected by eating raw or insufficiently thermally processed meat, since mature helminths are not able to develop in the human body – for this they need a main host.
- Zimbabwe measles outbreak: 698 deaths reported since April
- Argentina Legionella: WHO report, Latest from Tucumán
- Philippines FDA warns of fake anti-rabies serum
- San Diego: MTS rider diagnosed with TB
- New Jersey: 2 additional Legionnaires’ Disease cases reported in Hamilton Township
- Iowa reports 1st human West Nile virus case from Buena Vista County