By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In a follow-up on the COVID-19 situation in Ecuador, the National Institute for Public Health Research (INSPI) is now reporting 10,128 COVID-19 cases to date. This number includes 507 fatalities.
However, the death toll remains a question in Ecuador, according to authorities.
A RPP Noticias report (computer translated) notes the disproportionate death rate in the province of Guayas in the first two weeksof April raises questions about the true extent of the pandemic in Ecuador.
According to the authorities, there is a gap of some 5,700 deaths in the province of Guayas , the most affected by the coronavirus -with more than 6,000 of those infected nationwide-, and where 2,000 people a month usually die from various causes.
After crossing figures with different State institutions, “we have approximately 6,703 deaths reported in these 15 days of April in the province of Guayas ,” the head of the Joint Task Force (FTC), Jorge Wated, said on Thursday.
He also indicated that the number of deaths in hospitals is “decreasing”, which is a “very encouraging measure”, but that the number of deaths reported in other registries appears to be much higher than normal.
Taking into account that the “usual monthly average (in Guayas ) is approximately 2,000 people”, the gap at this point would be about 5,700 deaths above the usual, which Wated attributed to “different causes: COVID-19, alleged COVID-19 and natural deaths.”
According to the Government Minister, María Paula Romo, it will not be possible to know the real cause of all the deaths because “tests are not being applied to all the people who died,” but “a protocol for data collection to have possible causes ”
- Ebola in DRC: Six new cases in past week, Concerns as patient escapes clinic
- Brazil dengue: Mato Grosso do Sul reports 2nd most cases
- Hydroxychloroquine: Novartis reaches agreement with FDA to proceed with a Phase III clinical trial in hospitalized COVID-19 patients
- Calls for banning wet markets and the illegal pangolin trade
- Neonatal herpes following ritual circumcision (metzitzah b’peh)
- 5 MUST READ books on Infectious diseases
- COVID-19 in Africa: Researchers say world must help continent in staying ahead of the curve
- Illinois COVID-19 case count nears 30K, 125 additional deaths
- Polio: Additional cases reported in Pakistan, Polio vaccine history
- Lyme Disease Biobank Expands Into San Diego
- Oklahoma COVID-19: Death toll rises to 139, Tulsa increased testing capacity
- Measles in the Americas: 1,100 confirmed cases to date; Buenos Aires, Mexico City and São Paulo