Guinea Ecuatorial Salud reported Thursday that in recent weeks, there has been an unusual epidemiological situation in the Nsok Nsomo district, Kie-Ntem Province, related to 9 deaths within a short time of each other in two nearby communities, who presented the following symptoms: fever, vomiting blood and diarrhea.
The deaths were linked to people who all took part in a funeral ceremony. In addition, more than 200 people have been quarantined with restricted movement. Contact tracing is ongoing.
Guinea’s health minister Mitoha Ondo’o Ayekaba announced that the government sent samples to neighboring Gabon and Senegal for further investigations.
Following the announcement, neighboring Cameroon imposed movement restrictions along the border with Equatorial Guinea.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
- Nigeria reports more than 50 Lassa fever deaths in January
- Cholera epidemic in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- Shigella outbreak climbs to 32 cases linked to Seattle restaurant
- Sweden Salmonella Agona outbreak over, Dozens sickened, Cucumber was the likely cause
- Malaysia dengue cases up 211% in 2023 to date
- Florida reports 1st Eastern Equine Encephalitis case in Lake County
- Hawaii reports 1st pediatric flu death since 2020, More than 100 cases reported nationally
- South Africa: Measles cases top 500 since October 2022