Last Thursday, officials in Kyoto Prefecture reported a woman in her 90s had suffered from symptoms of diarrhea and abdominal pain after eating beef yukhoe sold by MEAT & FRESH TAKAMI, a meat dealer in Uji City. The woman had passed away, according to a Minyu-net report.
Enterohemorrhagic E. coli O157 was detected in the woman’s stool.
In addition, 22 men and women between the ages of 9 and 87 who ate yukhoe and roast beef at this restaurant complained of similar symptoms, and E. coli O157 was detected in 12 people including asymptomatic people. The prefectural government determined that these foods were the cause of the food poisoning.
On August 27, the deceased woman ate yukhoe sold as “rare steak” at home, and developed symptoms on September 2. She died in hospital on September 15th. The twenty-two other affected ate the meat between August 21-26.
- Kenya: Multidrug resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae outbreak in newborns at Nairobi hospital
- Typhoid cases up 121% in the Philippines in 2022
- Taiwan local dengue cases double
- Mauritania reports four human Rift Valley fever deaths
- France local dengue transmission rises to 36 cases
- Panama: Dengue, malaria and leishmaniasis in the Metropolitan Health Region
- Rhode Island reports first human case of West Nile Virus in 2022
- China reports 1st monkeypox case