In a follow-up on the meningococcal disease C outbreak in Fiji that was declared one month ago, The Fiji Ministry of Health and Medical Services (MoHMS) is reporting a total of 46 cases from January 1st to April 12th , 2018.
Of these, 22 cases are laboratory confirmed, and 24 are either suspected or probable cases. All cases were in the ≤ 19 age group. Four deaths have been confirmed and two fatalities are suspected.
The Ministry, through the National Meningococcal Disease Taskforce, continues to coordinate the response to the outbreak, including strengthening surveillance, laboratory diagnostics, clinical management, public health interventions and risk communications.
Meningococcal C vaccination (with ACWY conjugate vaccine-Menactra) was conducted from April 5th for students of Navesau Adventist School.
- Flu vaccine: Rice study predicts 2018 flu shot will have 20 percent efficacy
- North Dakota reports 28 percent increase in syphilis
- Hepatitis: Many European countries not ready to stop public health threat–Study
- E. coli O157:H7 outbreak: 18 additional cases reported
- Taiwan reports a dozen measles cases in recent cluster
- Kansas City measles cases rise to 4