Finland health authorities have updated their mask recommendation for citizens. The recommendation is no longer based on the different stages of the coronavirus epidemic, but mainly on people’s own situational judgment.
The mask should still be used, especially in congested, public interiors, and especially if unvaccinated.
In September, the government outlined in its update of the hybrid strategy that regional epidemic phases and related recommendations would be abandoned.
“Our updated mask recommendation is based on the current state of the coronavirus epidemic. Vaccination coverage is rising all the time, and everyone can now consider for themselves the situations in which the mask should still be used, ”says Otto Helve, Department of Health and Welfare’s (THL) chief physician.
THL’s updated mask recommendation in summary:
- Use the mask at your discretion. Consider using a mask, especially if you have not received a full series of vaccinations.
- We recommend using the mask especially in public interiors where there are a lot of people close to each other.
- In addition, we recommend using the mask on public transportation. When the national telework recommendation ends on October 15, the number of passengers may increase rapidly and the means of transport may become congested.
- The mask recommendation applies to those over 12 years of age.
- Organizers of various events can give their own mask recommendations for their own facilities.
- Regional authorities can issue mask recommendations for their area based on the regional epidemic situation.
- The National Institute of Occupational Health is responsible for mask recommendations for workplaces.
The coronavirus risk of various events can be assessed using a table previously prepared by THL. The risk potential assessment table was originally made to support the decisions of the regional authorities, but can be used by anyone if they wish.