Health officials in Miami-Dade County, Florida are reporting the first local case of dengue infection in 2022 in the state in a county resident.
This has prompted the issuance of a mosquito-borne illness advisory.
In 2021, no cases of locally acquired dengue fever were reported in Florida.
As of July 9, Florida has seen 43 travel-associated dengue fever cases in 2022 to date.
Dengue is a virus spread through mosquito bites by Aedes mosquitoes which also spread the chikungunya and Zika virus. Most people infected with dengue have mild or no symptoms. Those that do develop symptoms typically recover after about one week.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
The Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County encourages the following mosquito protection efforts to stop mosquitoes from multiplying and to protect your skin by remembering to “Drain and Cover.”
DRAIN standing water –
- Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flowerpots or any other containers where sprinkler or rainwater has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items that aren’t being used.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet’s water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.
COVER skin –
- Clothing – Wear shoes, socks, and long pants and long-sleeves. This type of protection may be necessary for people who work in areas where mosquitoes are present.
- Repellent – Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing, but not under clothing.
- Always read label directions carefully for the approved usage before you apply a repellent – Some repellents are not suitable for children.
- Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol, and IR3535 are effective.
- Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months old.
COVER doors and windows –
- Repair broken screening on windows, doors, porches, and patios to keep mosquitoes out of your house.
Florida: Giant African Land Snails in Pasco County, What is rat lungworm?
Florida Keys: Monroe County reports 1st monkeypox case
Vibrio vulnificus: Florida reports additional death in Citrus County
Florida reports 7 Eastern Equine Encephalitis cases in six counties
One thought on “Florida: 1st local dengue fever case of year reported in Miami-Dade County”
With herbal product… Cure herpes forever..
I am glad,
it’s unbelievable! ..
The best online i have seen…
Thanks to (([email protected] com))