By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Epidemiology has reported 53 confirmed animal rabies cases since the beginning of the year through August 31.
Of the 53 animals, raccoons accounted for more than half with 27, followed by foxes with 14. Leon and Orange counties saw the most cases during this period with five each.
Vibrio vulnificus cases reported in Clay and Volusia counties, Florida
An animal with rabies could infect other wild or domestic animals that have not been vaccinated against rabies. All domestic animals should be vaccinated against rabies and all wildlife contact should be avoided, particularly raccoons, bats, foxes, skunks, otters, bobcats and coyotes. Rabies is a disease of the nervous system and is fatal to warm blooded animals and humans. The only treatment for human exposure to rabies is rabies specific immune globulin and rabies immunization. Appropriate treatment started soon after the exposure, will protect an exposed person from the disease.
World Rabies Day 2021- Livestream event
Residents and visitors of the above areas are advised to take the following precautions:
- Avoid all contact with wildlife, particularly raccoons, bats, foxes, skunks, otters, bobcats and coyotes. Never adopt wild animals or bring them into your home.
- Never handle unfamiliar animals (wild or domestic), even if they appear friendly.
- Do not feed or unintentionally attract wild animals with open garbage cans or trash.
- Keep rabies vaccinations up to date for all pets.
- Keep pets under direct supervision so they do not come into contact with wild animals.
- Prevent bats from entering living quarters or occupied spaces in homes, churches, schools, and other similar areas where they might encounter people and pets.
- Chickenpox case reported at Whitman College
- MRSA: Stem cell protein shows promise as potential treatment, according to study
- Rabies vaccination drive in Nelson Mandela Bay, 71 cases reported in the city
- Albuquerque zoo loses 4th ape to Shigella
- Pneumonic plague case confirmed in Wyoming
- Spain: Lymphogranuloma venereum cases up in the northern province of Navarra
- Lewy Body Dementia with Dr. James Galvin
- Iraq: Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever death reported in Mosul
2 thoughts on “Florida reports 53 animal rabies cases in the first eight months of 2021”