By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Since May, Public Health France has reported a number of travel-associated and locally acquired dengue fever, chikungunya and Zika cases through seasonal enhanced surveillance:
Health officials have reported 529 imported cases of dengue fever, of which 16% had stayed on Reunion Island, which experienced a large outbreak recently. 10 regions have reported cases with Ile-de-France, Occitan and Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur regions recording the most imported cases.
In addition, nine indigenous cases of dengue fever have bee recorded– two autochthonous dengue cases currently being confirmed have been reported in the Rhone department and a focus of 7 indigenous dengue cases has been identified in the Maritime Alps.
France has reported six imported Zika virus cases from 5 regions and two indigenous cases in Var department.
49 imported cases of chikungunya have been reported this year and no local cases. Ile-de-France, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes and Occitan regions reported the most imported cases.
For these two outbreaks of dengue fever in the Rhone and Alpes-Maritimes and the two cases infected with the Zika virus of the Var, epidemiological investigations were set up to identify other possible cases and to reinforce the preventive and protective measures. monitoring.
Health professionals in the sectors concerned were also made aware of the identification and reporting of possible other cases.
Mosquito control operators immediately carried out entomological investigations and carried out targeted mosquito control activities. These actions are systematically accompanied by a prior information campaign for local residents.
- Polio news: Six additional wild poliovirus type 1 cases reported, while wild poliovirus type 3 declared eradicated
- Philippines: Dengue epidemic largest in 10 years, Diphtheria cases up and measles cases declining
- Dengue: Brazil tops 2 million cases in 2019, Mexico cases double from last year
- Canada: Salmonella outbreak linked to Filicetti brand Italian Style sausage
- Ethiopia chikungunya cases top 50,000, Measles and cholera updates