By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
French health officials have reported the first death due to the new coronavirus. The case is a 80-year-old Chinese tourist who has been hospitalized for some three weeks.
To date, France has reported 11 confirmed COVID-19 cases- 7 men, 4 women, and median age: 48 years (cases aged 9 to 81).
The eleven cases have been reported in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes (5), Ile-de-France (5) and New Aquitaine (1).
All the cases are linked to China, and one case of human-to-human transmission has been identified in France.
This is the fourth death reported outside China- France joins Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan as countries reporting deaths.
Globally, more than 67,000 cases reported from 29 countries, including 1527 deaths.
- Pennsylvania: Syphilis rates highest in more than 20 years
- University of New Hampshire reports mumps on campus
- Hawaii: COVID-19 positive individual traveled to Maui and Oahu
- WHO underestimates the spread of the coronavirus: Swedish researchers
- Diamond Princess: US government to evacuate Americans
- Africa coronavirus: Egypt records first COVID-19 case