Two people have died from anthrax after consuming tainted meat in the Bawku West District of the Upper East Region, according to local media.
It was revealed that last week, some animals in Widnaba fell sick from the bacterial infection and were consumed by an some 30 people.
Antibiotics were given for the people in the area. Health officials advise the public not to eat the meat of sick animals.
In a follow-up to the meningitis outbreak in Ghana where more than 500 people got sick and about 100 people died from the pneumococcal variety, health officials say the number of recorded cases for the pneumococcal meningitis is gradually reducing; however, a more serious form is appearing in Ghana–meningococcal meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis.
Director-General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Appiah Denkyira said this new strain could be a potential epidemic. “In the Upper West Region, there has been an increase in the Neisseria type. The Neisseria is the one which usually causes the epidemic”, he said.
- Egypt: 1st human H5N1 avian influenza infection of 2016
- Polio update: Pakistan and Guinea
- Anthrax tainted meat sends 22 to the hospital in south-east Zimbabwe