Ghana death toll up to 36, WHO arrives in Accra - Outbreak News Today | Outbreak News Today Outbreak News Today
Subscribe: RSS Twitter

The pneumococcal meningitis outbreak in Ghana has now taken 36 lives from the more than 170 people infected and the World Health Organization (WHO) has arrived in an effort to help the country contain the outbreak.

Accra

Map of Ghana/CIA

The cases have been reported from three regions of Ghana– the Brong Ahafo, Northern and the Ashanti Regions of the country.

The WHO team left Monday from Accra to the affected areas to assess the situation on the ground. In addition, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will be providing laboratory support.

WHO Disease Prevention and Control Officer, Dr Sally-Ann Ohene said the WHO had already presented rapid diagnostic test (RDT) kits suitable for preliminary or emergency medical screening to the MoH for distribution to affected areas, according to local media.

Presently, Dr Ohene said, what was needed most in the affected areas was public education to ensure that people reported cases to health facilities on time.

Related: 

 

2 Comments

  1. […] Ghana death toll up to 36, WHO arrives in Accra […]

  2. […] The pneumococcal meningitis outbreak in Ghana has now taken 36 lives from the more than 170 people infected and the World Health Organization (WHO) has arrived in an effort to help the country contain the outbreak. The cases have been reported from three regions of Ghana– the Brong Ahafo, Northern and the Ashanti Regions of […] Outbreak News Today » Africa […]

Leave a Reply

© 2016 Outbreak News Today · Subscribe: RSS Twitter ·