By NewsDesk @bactiman63
Pakistan saw two additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases during the past week– one from Gulshan-e-Iqbal Town in Karachi district, Sindh province, and one from North Waziristan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, according to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
This brings the total cases in Pakistan to 17 and globally the tally is now 24. In all of 2018, 33 WPV1 cases were reported.
In addition, seven WPV1-positive environmental samples were reported in the past week: one each from Baldia Town and S.I.T.E in Karachi district, Sindh province; one from Lahore district, Punjab province; one from Federal Capital Territory, Islamabad; one each from Bannu district and South Waziristan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province; one from Quetta district, Balochistan province.
Besides Pakistan, the following circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus cases and WPV1-positive environmental samples were reported: Afghanistan – 1 wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1)-positive environmental sample; Niger – 1 circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) isolated from a healthy community contact and Nigeria – 1 case classified cVDPV2 based on a positive contact and 3 cVDPV2-positive environmental samples.
T-shirts, coffee mugs and other merchandise with a clean, computerized image of a Giardia intestinalis trophozoite. See more at Giardia in Black and White
Lastly, health ministers and delegates attending the World Health Assembly this week in Geneva welcomed the new Polio Endgame Strategy 2019-2023, reiterating the need to fully implement and fund all aspects of the strategy to secure a lasting polio-free world. The five-year plan spells out the tactics and tools to wipe out the poliovirus from its last remaining reservoirs, including innovative strategies to vaccinate hard-to-reach children and expanded partnerships with the Expanded Programme on Immunization community and health emergencies.
- Hawaii: 3 additional rat lungworm cases in visitors
- Legionnaires’ disease cluster in Union County, NJ
- Oklahoma: Bixby church identified as potential measles exposure location
- Monkeypox in Nigeria: CDC updates travel notice
- Measles outbreak in England prompts calls for vaccinations
- Lyme disease: New study confirms dogs are sentinels to assess human risk
- Myositis with Dr. Cheilonda Johnson
- FDA authorizes marketing of Zika IgM test
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea testing: FDA clears tests for throat and rectum samples
- Thailand: Congenital syphilis, dengue update
- Lassa fever: Vaccine candidate, Nigeria update