Dracunculus medinensis. The “fiery serpent”. Guinea worm.
It is set to become the second human disease in history, after smallpox, to be eradicated. It will be the first parasitic disease to be eradicated and the first disease to be eradicated without the use of a vaccine or medicine.
Joining me to discuss this parasite is Parasitology teacher, author of Parasites: Tales of Humanity’s Most Unwelcome Guests and friend of the show–Rosemary Drisdelle.
- Parasites 101: Ascaris lumbricoides
- Paragonimus: A look at this parasitic lung fluke
- Clonorchis sinensis: The Chinese liver fluke
- Acanthamoeba: A rare and potentially blinding parasite
- Parasites 101: Whipworm
- Dientamoeba fragilis: ‘The unflagellated human flagellate’
- Lymphatic filariasis in Nigeria: The battle against the disfiguring parasitic disease
- Parasites 101: Pinworms
- Parasites 101: Entamoeba histolytica
- Diphyllobothrium: The largest known tapeworms that can infect people
- Parasites 101: Swimmer’s itch
- Parasites 101: Cyclospora
- Coyote tapeworm in Alberta: 5th human case reported
- Raccoon roundworm: The rare and potentially lethal zoonosis
- Outbreak News Radio: Baylisascaris procyonis (raccoon roundworm)
- Autoinfection and Hyperinfection With Strongyloides Stercoralis
- A Potentially Fatal Parasite First Seen in the Philippines