The British Columbia Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is warning consumers that Hepatitis A virus has been detected in a sample of Western Family brand fresh pineapple chunks sold in ready-to-go cups.
Current information indicates the cups were produced on August 11th and distributed to 38 Save-On-Foods, Overwaitea Foods and PriceSmart Foods stores in BC. (A list is available HERE).
The fruit cups may have been on sale from August 11th and had a best before date of August 19th.
The investigation is ongoing. Other products are believed to be affected and more information will be provided as it becomes available.
Hepatitis A vaccine can prevent hepatitis A infection if given within 14 days after exposure.
- If you consumed this product on August 18th or later, you should receive a dose of hepatitis A vaccine.
- If you develop symptoms of hepatitis A, contact your family doctor and local health unit office immediately.
- Consumers who have frozen the product should discard it.
No illness has been reported to date.
For information about free hepatitis A vaccine in your health authority if you consumed the product within the last 14 days:
- Fraser Health: http://www.fraserhealth.ca/hepAclinics
- Interior Health: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/pages/default.aspx
- Island Health: http://www.viha.ca/about_viha/news/news_releases/NR_HepatitisA_westernfamily_pineapple_1sept2017
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/YourHealth/HealthAlerts/CommunicableIllnessDisease.aspx
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/Hep-A
A free hepatitis A vaccine can also be offered at any Overwaitea banner stores including Save-On-Foods, PriceSmart Foods, Overwaitea Foods and Urban Fare. Please contact the pharmacist at any of these stores for more information.
- Shore Lunch Fish Breading/Batter Mix recalled due to Salmonella risk
- China reports H7N9 avian flu death in Jiangsu
- NSW health officials report hundreds of gastroenteritis cases in past week
- Diphtheria takes the life of two infants at Maturín, Venezuela hospital
- TB: BCG vaccine protective for nearly twice as long as previously thought
- Newly emerged superbug, hyper-resistant and hypervirulent Klebsiella pneumoniae discovered