By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Hong Kong Centre for Health Protection (CHP) reported Friday the investigation of two suspected ciguatoxin poisoning cases.
The cases, one male and one female, aged 9 and 16 respectively, who developed symptoms of ciguatoxin poisoning including nausea and tongue numbness about 30 minutes to one and a half hours after consuming a marine fish at a restaurant in To Kwa Wan Thursday.
Both patients are now in stable condition.
Ciguatera fish poisoning is not uncommon in tropical areas. It is mainly associated with the consumption of big coral reef fish which have accumulated the toxin in the body, particularly in internal organs, through eating small fish that consumed toxic algae in coral reef seas.
A larger fish is therefore more likely to carry higher amounts of the toxin. However, it is not easy to tell from the appearance of the fish whether it contains the toxin.
People affected may show symptoms of numbness of the mouth and limbs, vomiting, diarrhea, alternating sensations of coldness and hotness, and pain in the joints and muscles.
“Most people affected by ciguatoxin will recover without long-term health effects, but if excessive toxins are consumed, the circulatory and nervous systems can be affected. The toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking,” a CHP spokesman said.
- China: Thousands of people test positive for brucellosis, linked to biopharmaceutical company leak in 2019
- New Jersey reports 1st EEE case of year in a horse
- Measles in Africa: 15 countries report outbreaks
- Massachusetts reports 5th human Eastern Equine Encephalitis case
- Chikungunya outbreak in Chad nears 25,000 cases
- Indiana: Probable EEE case reported in LaPorte County
- Salmonella: La Aldea Store and Restaurant Outbreak
- Canada: Salmonella outbreak linked to onions eclipse 500 cases