By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
India’s Ministry of Health reported 11,458 new COVID-19 infections Saturday, a daily record in the country, bringing the outbreak total to 308,992.
This has put India at the position of being the country with the fourth most cases following the US, Brazil and Russia.
Health officials say 154,329 have recovered from the disease and 8884 COVID-19 deaths have been recorded.
India’s recent surge comes after restrictions were eased after a lengthy two-month lockdown.
Elsewhere in South Asia, cases are also rising. In Bangladesh, the total case count has exceeded 84,000 and 1139 deaths.
Dhaka City has seen about 23,000 cases.
In Pakistan, 132,405 cases and 2551 deaths have been reported to date. Punjab and Sindh provinces account for nearly 100,000 cases.
- Philippines COVID-19 tally tops 25,000, Establishment of more testing labs pursued ‘aggressively’
- Thailand dengue outbreak: One-third of cases seen in children ages 5-14
- Texas A&M study: Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 infections may account for as much as 45 percent of all cases
- Spain: Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever case confirmed in Castilla y León
- COVID-19 testing: UNC-Chapel Hill researchers create new type of antibody test
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever: Turkey reports hundreds of cases
Got Smallpox? merchandise