In Maharashtra State in west-central India is reporting an outbreak of H1N1 influenza, resulting in 260 deaths, according to local media.
Despite recommendations earlier this year, state authorities have yet to procure the vaccine.
In Andhra Pradesh state in India’s southeastern coast has reported 6,000 malaria cases. Visakhapatnam and East Godavari districts have registered a large number of cases in the State. As many as 2,264 cases 1,600 cases have been registered in East Godavari and Visakhapatnam district respectively.
The supply of mosquito nets in affected areas has not been implemented yet and fogging measures are also not being carried out on a regular basis.
The deployment of health teams have been dispatched to the area; however, due to the shortage of staff, the officials are finding it hard to reach all villages.
Monsoon rains in the state just in time for mosquito season.
- India: Cutaneous anthrax outbreak in Visakhapatnam
- Nigeria Lassa fever outbreak tops 500 cases, still active in 9 states
- Balamuthia: Profounda receives Orphan Drug Designation to use miltefosine for treatment
- Rat lungworm found in 5 Florida counties
- Many ‘pink eye’ infections treated unnecessarily with antibiotics: Study