Here is a look at some important infectious disease news reported across the globe:
Did Charles Darwin Have Lyme Disease?
During his lifetime, Charles Darwin complained of so many different ailments that it’s no small miracle the pioneering evolutionary biologist got any work done. Historians have struggled to understand the exact nature of his illness or illnesses, but new research suggests one potentially obvious malady has been overlooked: Lyme disease.
DRC: 4th circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus outbreak
As of October 2018, genetically-linked circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) isolates were detected in two cases from Haut-Katanga province (Mufunga-Sampwe district) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Nigeria: Yellow fever in Edo state
On 22 November 2018, the World Health Organization was informed of a cluster of suspected Yellow fever (YF) cases and deaths in Edo State, Nigeria. Edo State is located less than 400km from Lagos on a dense population movement axis between Lagos and South-Eastern Nigeria.
USC Researchers Race Against Tick-Borne Illness
Two groundbreaking discoveries by USC researchers could lead to medications and a vaccine to treat or prevent a hemorrhagic fever transmitted by a new tick species before it spreads across the United States.
Syphilis outbreak control attempts a ‘total failure’ says Australian Medical Association
Attempts to reduce the spread of a disease that can kill newborn children have been labelled a “total failure” by an expert medical group.
- Ebola drug: UTMB experimental treatment effective in single dose in animals
- Argentina: Hantavirus outbreak in Epuyén is ‘unprecedented’
- CCHF death confirmed in Uganda
- Antibiotic recall: Lupin pulls ceftriaxone; particulate matter found in reconstituted vials
- Why does there continue to be resistance to vaccines? Ever heard of hysteresis?
- Infectious disease bric-a-bracs: C. difficile-NSAID link, unique Staph strain
- How to prevent common skin conditions at the gym
- Measles in New York: Largest outbreak since elimination