Here is a look at some interesting infectious disease and health news, opinion and research reported across the globe:
LSTM and Imperial College Researchers design new anti-influenza drugs
Researchers at LSTM and Imperial College London have designed drugs which could help combat any potential new flu pandemic, by targeting the receptors of the cells by which the virus gains entry to the human body.
Rare leishmaniasis disease takes epidemic turn in Sindh-Balochistan border areas
Noted Skin Specialist and Karachi Institute of Skin Diseases Director Dr Iqbal Nabi Soomro on Wednesday said that a rare skin disease leishmaniasis is rising on an epidemic level in Sindh-Baluchistan border areas while no vaccine is available for the treatment of patients.
Swine fever virus lurks in China tourist sausages
“TO SUCCEED BY 2023”- EXTRAORDINARY JOINT STATEMENT TO POLIO ERADICATORS
In an extraordinary joint statement by the Chairs of the main independent, advisory and oversight committees of the GPEI, the Chairs urge everyone involved in polio eradication to ensure polio will finally be assigned to the history books by 2023. The authors are the chairs of the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on immunization (SAGE), the Independent Monitoring Board, the Emergency Committee of the International Health Regulations (IHR) Regarding International Spread of Poliovirus and the Global Commission for the Certification of the Eradication of Poliomyelitis (GCC).
15 goats in Omariya zoo isolated due to Brucellosis disease
The Public Authority for Agriculture Affairs and Fish Resources has taken precautionary measures to prevent the spread of Brucellosis disease, which was noticed in the Omariya Zoo a week ago as a result of which 15 goats have been ‘quarantined’, reports Al-Rai daily.
- Cruise news: GI outbreak onboard Viking Ocean Cruises vessel, Viking Sea
- Travel advisory for Kazakhstan: Measles outbreak
- Philippines reports 200,000 dengue cases in 2018, 31st Dengvaxia complaint filed over doctor’s death
- Measles: Washington Gov. Jay Inslee declares a state of emergency
- CDC Health Advisory: Rifampin/Penicillin-Resistant RB51 Brucella from consuming raw milk
- Infectious disease news: Top 5 posts for the week Jan. 19- Jan. 25
- World Leprosy Day 2019: ‘Ending discrimination, stigma and prejudice’