Here is a look at some interesting infectious disease and health news, opinion and research reported across the globe:
Unknown virus claims 64 lives in Indore, India
An unknown virus has claimed 64 lives in and around the Indian city of Indore in Madhya Pradesh.
As reported by the Indian newspaper, Times of India, the virus has symptoms identical to swine flu.
Four new MERS cases detected in Oman
Four new cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus have been detected in Oman, according to the Ministry of Health. “This brings the total number of recorded cases from various governorates in the Sultanate to 18 since 2013,” the ministry said in a statement.
Jakarta Declares Dengue Fever Alert
The Jakarta Health Agency has declared a dengue fever (DBD) alert in light of increased number of dengue cases in the capital.
“The alert status is to prevent the cases from growing,” Widyastuti told a press conference at her office in Central Jakarta today, January 28, 2019.
National Centre for Disease Control confirms cases of tuberculosis in eastern region
The National Centre for Disease Control confirmed on Sunday the registration of cases of tuberculosis in the eastern region.
Study Shows Syphilis Is Increasing Among Pregnant Women
A recently published study investigated syphilis trends among pregnant women and examined high-risk behaviors. Syphilis trends were examined from all 50 states and the District of Columbia through the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System from 2012-2016.
- Sri Lanka reports nearly 5,000 dengue cases in January
- Thailand chikungunya cases top 1,000 in January
- Yellow fever: 12 cases reported in São Paulo, Is this the third wave?
- One additional measles case reported in Vancouver outbreak
- Measles in Madagascar: 29K cases since October
- The Parasitology interviews, Part 2
- Measles outbreak: 34 confirmed cases in Vancouver area
- The Parasitology interviews, Part 1
- Outbreak News This Week: Vaccines 1-27-19