Here are the top five posts on Outbreak News Today for the week Dec. 8 through Dec. 14:
5. Plague count grows in Madagascar
The number 5 post for the week was an update on the plague situation in Madagascar since August.
4. Australia: NSW health issue cryptosporidiosis warning
NSW Health issued a warning for people to be vigilant about the spread of cryptosporidiosis in swimming pools.
3. Uruguay reports 1st human leishmaniasis case
Uruguay health officials reported the first human leishmaniasis case in a minor from Salto.
2. Schistosomiasis: Artemisia tea infusions just as effective as praziquantel for treatment
For the second week in a row, this look at a Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) study on using Artemisia tea infusions to treat schistosomiasis.
1. Johns Hopkins researchers: Plant compounds may be better than current antibiotics at treating persistent Lyme bacteria
The top post for the second week in a row is about a study by researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health which demonstrated that oils from garlic and several other common herbs and medicinal plants show strong activity against the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.
New podcasts this week: