H1N1, H7N9, H5N1–we hear this “alphanumeric” description of various influenza, or flu viruses all the time.
In this short clip from an older interview, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at Columbia University and founder of Virology Blog, Vincent Racaniello, PhD explains more about the Hemagglutinin (HA) and neuraminidase (NA).
- Hotez measles prediction: ‘Something awful is happening in Texas’
- Breast cancer Q & A with Dr J. Leonard Lichtenfeld
- Vaccines: How they work and some common misconceptions
- July is International Group B Strep Awareness Month
- Legionnaires’ disease and Legionella, Part Two
- Legionnaires’ disease and Legionella, Part One
- Multiple recurring C. diff infections rising: An interview with Dr James Lewis
- Everything you wanted to know about rabies
- Powassan virus: The spread is inevitable
- Hantavirus: An interview with Dr Paul Ettestad