By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Italy Ministry of Health is reporting 3,089 coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19 cases to date. Most cases have been reported in Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna and Veneto regions.
The death toll has reached 107, the most outside of China.
Health officials also announced the schools and universities will be closed from March 5 to 15, 2020 throughout Italy.
According to The Minister of Education, Lucia Azzolina, “I pledge that essential public service, albeit remotely, will be provided to all students.”
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy.
They also warn of certain regions of Italy:
Do not travel to Lombardy and Veneto due to the high level of community transmission of virus and the presence of local quarantine procedures. Large numbers of cases continue to be reported from these regions in northern Italy, which are the source of most cases in the country. Cases elsewhere in the world have also been linked to these regions.
- Brazil has three confirmed cases of coronavirus in the country: MOH
- California: Placer County reports 1st COVID-19 death outside Washington
- Los Angeles COVID-19 case count now 7, County declares local health emergency
- New York COVID-19 case count rises to 6
- Lassa fever reported in Benin
- Malaysia COVID-19 cases reach 50
- New Hampshire reports two presumptive positive COVID-19 cases in Grafton County
- COVID-19: Researchers discover why remdesivir is effective in treating the coronaviruses