By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Italian Ministry of Health reported today an additional 2,313 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases and 196 deaths.
This brings the total cases and deaths in Italy to 12,462 total cases and 827 deaths (6.6 percent CFR).
The Lombardy region has seen 7280 cases and more than 600 deaths, more than most countries alone.
Both Emilia Romagna and Veneto regions have recorded greater than 1000 cases with 1739 and 1023 cases, respectively.
In addition, the Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) a pandemic.
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeted today: WHO is deeply concerned by the alarming levels of the coronavirus spread, severity & inaction, & expects to see the number of cases, deaths & affected countries climb even higher. Therefore, we made the assessment that COVID19 can be characterized as a pandemic.
Globally, more than 125,000 COVID-19 cases and 4,594 deaths have been recorded.
- Jamaica reports 1st COVID-19 case
- Massachusetts: Governor Charlie Baker declares State of Emergency as COVID-19 cases push 100
- Philippines reports additional 16 COVID-19 cases, New Clark City repatriates released
- New Jersey COVID-19: Governor Phil Murphy declares State of Emergency, 1st death reported
- Costa Rica COVID-19 update: 13 cases reported to date, public events cancelled
- South Africa reports 6 additional COVID-19 cases, brings total to 13
- 4 Die In Listeria Outbreak Linked to Korean Enoki Mushrooms