By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Italy Ministry of Health reported 969 COVID-19 deaths in the past day, making it the highest single day death count to date.
In addition, more than 5,500 additional cases were reported in the past 24 hours, putting Italy’s total case count at 86,498.
Lombardy region and Emilia Romagna remain the hardest hit regions with 37,298 and 11,588 cases, respectively.
There are 36,653 cases in home isolation, 26,029 hospitalized cases and 3,732 required intensive care.
In related news, the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee announced that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo will be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but no later than summer 2021.
Globally to date, more than 585,000 cases have been reported from 176 countries or regions and nearly 27,000 deaths have been recorded.
- South Africa COVID-19 cases top 900
- Philippines: COVID-19 cases top 800, 54 deaths; Telemedicine guidelines being finalized
- Costa Rica COVID-19 case count now 231, Five private laboratories approved to perform coronavirus test
- Nigeria reports decrease in new confirmed Lassa fever cases
- COVID-19 potential therapeutic options: A minireview
- Chikungunya vaccine: Valneva completes End-of-Phase 2 meeting with FDA
- Pangolins could be the missing link for SARS-CoV-2 transmission between bats and humans